108 Construction Equipment and Methods,ENGR 043
The purpose of this 108 Construction Equipment and Methods online course is to give the student an overall understanding of construction equipment and selected construction methods. This includes selection, economy, and productivity of common construction equipment and construction procedures for site development and industrial, heavy and civil construction. The course will introduce students to civil construction plans, determining earthwork quantities, equipment economics and utilization, equipment production rates, fundamentals of earth moving and excavating, loading and hauling equipment.
By the end of this 108 construction equipment and methods online class you will:
- Learn how to best utilize construction equipment on site work and heavy civil projects
- Become familiar with construction equipment and their capabilities
- Understand standard designations, sizes, and gradations of equipment
- Properly select heavy equipment based on applications, utilization, productivity, and other factors
- Understand the elements of equipment cost and evaluating investment alternatives
- Develop a basic understanding of unit price and earthwork quantities
- Develop an increased awareness of civil construction blueprints
- Be able to demonstrate awareness of construction safety related to earth moving operations
Class Organization and Grading
The following table lists the learning modules, the maximum point value a student can receive within each module, and the week in which the modules must be finished.
In each module there are discussions (10 points), homework (10 points), and a quiz (10 points)
|Module||Topic||Point Value||By End of Week|
|0||Student Orientation||0||Before start|
|1||Introduction to Construction Equipment||30||1|
|2||Equipment Accounting and Acquisition Decisions||30||2|
|3||Heavy Construction Blueprint Reading and Estimating||30||3|
|4||Fundamentals of Earth moving||30||4|
|5||Pushing, Ripping, and Dozing Equipment||30||5|
|6||Digging and Hauling Equipment||30||6|
|8||Compressors and Pumps||30||8|
|9||Drilling and Blasting Equipment||30||9|
Graded assignments will consist of one homework, one quiz and participation in at least two class discussions for each module. Each quiz will count 10 points, each homework 10 points, and class discussions will count 10 points per module. Students should provide at least 4 contributions to the class discussions each week to gain the maximum points.
Grades will be posted on a weekly basis. You will have full access to your grade sheet and can keep track of how you are doing at all times.
Your overall grade in the course will be determined by the total number of points you have accumulated on quizzes and assignments. The grading scale is as follows.
- A 270 to 300 points
- B 240 to 269 points
- C 210 to 239 points
- D 180 to 209 points
- Anything less will be considered either failure or an unauthorized withdrawal from the course
You will be given more information about the grading and other course matters in the Orientation Module.