114 Estimating Civil and Site work Construction, ENGR 045
This 114 Estimating Civil and Site work Construction online course introduces students to estimating civil engineering, heavy construction projects, and site work construction projects. This online class will cover reading and understanding civil construction plans, determining earthwork quantities, determining crew make-up, and fundamentals of estimating various civil and site work components.
To do well in this 114 Estimating Civil and Sitework Construction online class you should have the following skills:
- Familiarity with blueprints
- Have a basic knowledge of construction estimating subjects including:
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)
- Be familiar with the use of a calculator
- Be able to organize your work so it can easily be understood by others
By the end of this class you should be able to:
- Understand and use standard terminology used in civil construction
- Organize an estimate in a logical format
- Perform quantity take-offs for civil construction work
- Determine crew make up and productivity
- Calculate labor, equipment, and material costs for civil construction works
- Prepare a final estimate for a civil/site work construction project including indirect costs, mark-ups, and profit.
Class Organization and Grading
The following table lists the learning modules, the maximum point value a student can receive within each module, and the week in which the modules must be finished.
In each module there are discussions (10 points), homework (10 points) and a quiz (10 points)
|Module||Topic||Point value||Complete by end of week|
|0||Student Orientation||0||Before start|
|1||What Makes Civil Estimating Unique?||30||1|
|2||Calculating Civil Quantities Part I||30||2|
|3||Calculating Civil Quantities Part II||30||3|
|4||Calculating Civil Quantities Part III||30||4|
|5||Crew Hour Costing and Productivities||30||5|
|9||Estimating Demolition/ Haz. Materials||30||9|
|10||Preparing the Bid Package||30||10|
Graded assignments will consist of one homework, one quiz and participation in at least two class discussions for each module. Each quiz will count 10 points, each homework 10 points, and class discussions will count 10 points per module. Students should provide at least 3 contributions to the class discussions each week to gain the maximum points.
Grades will be posted on a weekly basis. You will have full access to your grade sheet and can keep track of how you are doing at all times.
Your overall grade in the course will be determined by the total number of points you have accumulated on quizzes and assignments. The grading scale is as follows.
- A 270 to 300 points
- B 240 to 269 points
- C 210 to 239 points
- D 180 to 209 points
- Anything less will be considered either failure or an unauthorized withdrawal from the course
You will be given more information about the grading and other course matters in the Orientation Module.
114 Estimating Civil and Sitework Construction Textbook
Other course resources are available online and in the classroom.