202S Oral and Written Communication
for Construction Supervisors, ENGR 030
STP Unit 2
Both oral and written communication carry a deep impact on the people you work with and the situations under which you work.
Communication is multi-faceted. It includes nonverbal communication, body language, listening, inflection, and written communication. Without quality skills in each of these categories you are putting yourself and your career at risk.
This STP Unit 2 online course is designed for you to become a more effective supervisor by becoming a more effective communicator. The skills you learn within the course will be put to use right away!
By the end of this STP Unit 2 Oral and Written Communication online class you will:
- Learn about the different forms of communication
- Understand how effective communications affect productivity
- Be able to effectively communicate within your company’s communication system
- Be able to recognize and overcome barriers to communication
- Communicate with peers and supervisors effectively
- Harness the techniques of listening
- Apply your listening skills as a management method
- Control the nature and tempo of a conversation
- Learn to use questioning skills
- Learn how to use both open-ended and closed-ended questions
- Establish a negotiation strategy through which you will be able to reach commitment and agreement
- Communicating with difficult people
- Learn to communicate effectively with your crew
- Deliver better, more precise working instructions
- Learn how to offer corrective feedback
- Develop useful writing skills
- Learn to lead a successful meeting
- Understand why others have problems communicating with you
- Understand the basic functions and procedures of electronic communications
- Learn how to use the Internet and WWW for communications
- Be able to develop a plan for improving communications
Class Organization and Grading
The following table lists the learning modules, the maximum value in points a student can receive within each module, and the time in which the modules must be finished. Each week you will have online class discussions (15 points) and a quiz (10 points).
|0. Student Orientation||0|
|1. Oral and Written Communication||25||1|
|2. Supervisors as Effective Communicators||25||2|
|3. Learn To Listen||25||3|
|4. Carrying on conversations||25||4|
|5. Persuasion, negotiations and confrontation||25||5|
|6. Communicate with your crew||25||6|
|7. Put it in writing||25||7|
|8. Meetings that work||25||8|
|9. Electronic communications||25||9|
|10. Improving communications||25||10|
It is important that the student keep up with the class and not fall behind. Course modules will be made available to students on Sunday of each week. Class work must be completed by the following Sunday. Students will not be able to work ahead of the class although reading assignments will be made available in advance.
Graded assignments will consist of one quiz for each module and participation in at least two class discussions. Students learn more and learn better when they discuss the topic at hand. For that reason, I consider the regular weekly discussions to be even more important than the weekly quizzes.
Grades will be posted on a weekly basis. You will have full access to your grade sheet so you will be able to keep track of how you are doing at all times.
Your overall grade in the course will be determined by the total number of points you have accumulated on quizzes and assignments. The grading scale is as follows:
A 225 to 250 points
B 200 to 224 points
C 175 to 199 points
D 150 to 174 points
Anything less will be considered an F or an unauthorized withdrawal from the course.
You will be given more information about the grading and other course matters in the Orientation Module.
|10 Quizzes @ 10 pts each||100|
|Participation 15 pts/ week||150|
202S Oral and Written Communication for Construction Supervisors Textbook
The cost of each textbook is approximately $155 plus shipping and handling. If you order a used book be sure you are getting the correct edition.
Allow at least 5 working days between ordering the book and receiving it by the least expensive shipping. Foreign students should allow at least 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. You can have your book delivered more quickly by paying more for the shipping.